Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Waiting Game (& Some Great Deals!)

We are sitting in limbo on more than one thing now. First of all, I said a few days ago that Justin's car was finally going to start getting repaired (it's been a week). Wellll, maybe not. From the initial "look-over" by the mechanic, the repairs may be close to $6000. The car is only worth about $3000, maybe $3500... So now we're sitting around waiting for all the right paperwork to be submitted to find out if they're just going to total the car. Fortunately, we still have the rental car until a decision is made. After that, we're lucky enough to be able to borrow my mom's car for a little while.

Short side-story: My dad had a little seizure around the beginning of the month and legally, he's not allowed to drive for 90 days afterward (in case he were to have a repeat seizure and cause an accident). Therefore, my parents have an extra vehicle until April 7th. We have a friend/neighbor who, for a living, shops for cars at auctions and resells them. He's the one that got me my trusty Mazda when I got my license. We're probably going to have him look around for a good car for us, but since we can borrow my mom's car for a little while, we don't have to rush and we have a little extra time to save up a little more money.

OK, limbo item number two.... Drumroll.... WE PUT AN OFFER ON A HOUSE!! I mentioned that we had started house hunting and although we didn't anticipate putting an offer in this soon, that's how it happened. Let me explain. :) We've been very casually looking around Mesa, Gilbert, Queen Creek for the last several months. We actually only ever looked online, that's how casual we were. Someone suggested we look in Maricopa, AZ; a pretty newly booming town about 30 minutes south-west of Phoenix. We looked up houses online and you wouldn't believe the house you can get for the money out there! Nice neighborhoods, parks, community pools, clean, the "oldest" house we found was built in 2004...

So, more about the house we put an offer on. It was actually the first house we looked at in Maricopa and after about 20 houses in between, it was the last house we looked at. All within one week. It has 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 2181 sq ft, 2 story. It's a short-sale, which usually take months and months to process, but this one already has the price approved at $105,000. They had a buyer back out, so it's already been through all the bank processes. Hopefully it won't take forever to hear back from them.

So, now that I've gotten myself and hopefully all of you excited, cross your fingers, wish upon a star, and PRAY. We'll keep the blog updated. It may be a little while until we hear anything though. (Where's the medium ground where you really really want it to happen, but you tell yourself don't get your hopes up too high?)

PART II of my post title: Great Deals!

I was so excited for these couple of fabulous deals I got recently I had to share. :) First, a sweatery, shirt/wrap thingy for me... (I don't know how to describe it). On the clearance rack at Kmart for $1.99. I also got a gray camisole/tank top on the same clearance rack for 79 cents. Awesome! (pay no attention to my hair, it is definitely not cooperating today)


Next, I found some cute jeans for Carrie at Walmart today. They were on sale for $8, so I thought, hmmm, OK, I'll just pick my favorite pair. When I got to checkout, they rang up as $2!! Honest me, I made the lady double check. Sure enough, $2. So I went back and got a second pair with a different design. Score! Good deals make me so happy : )

6 comments:

Taylor and Kristin Williams said...

You need to go check out Target right now. They have a lot of baby stuff on sale. I found some size 2T brown pants (with a button and zipper) for next winter for $1.75. A pair of brown knit pants for $1, a few shirts for $2.50, a 2 pack of fleecey warm jammies for $2.50, etc. Good deals!!! :) Oh and you should check out savers or goodwill for baby clothes. They usually have some decent stuff for babies since babies grow too fast to really wear some clothes out. :)

Chelsea said...

I hope all goes great with the house! That is exciting for you guys! Good Sale shopping too, I get excited about good deals! We need to hang out before you move away!

Brittney said...

AWESOME deals all around!!! Awesome clothes deals and way awesome house deal. I wish you the absolute best and really hope it all goes through for you. It sounds amazing.

Jacob & Clarissa said...

Good luck with the house! We've definitely looked online at stuff in Maricopa, the prices are amazing out there. I would feel even better about continuing to look if I knew someone living there! By the way, Emily definitely has the jeans with the flowers. Aren't they adorable?

Elise said...

SOO EXCITING!!! We keep looking for houses in the bay area (very casually online :) and anything that size in a good neighborhood is usually built in 1960 and costs $550,000. It makes me weep. But for you I'm so happy! Best of luck on the house. And I hope everything is going well for your dad. That's some scary stuff!

theuhis said...

Siu has those exact pants (bigger sizes of course!). I think they are so cute and a real deal! Good Job!