Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Princess Overload!

Since our DVD of Cars has been scratched beyond watchability, Carrie has moved on to a few other movies. Stuck in a tie for her favorite are Sleeping Beauty, which usually sounds like "Sleeping Booty" and The Little Mermaid, which she likes to call "Ari-rel"

Because she watches them sooooo much she's starting using movie quotes in her daily conversation. My favorite is if she's frustrated and not getting something she wants, she'll lay her face in her hands and start very quietly crying, more like the weepy breathing sound. She'll then whisper, "Just go away".......

Maybe I've just seen the movie too recently, but does that scene sound familiar? Ariel after King Triton blows her "collection" to smithereens?....

Moving on to a new side of this topic, I admit, I've become lazy and let the TV babysit her. All. Day. It's really easy when she asks for it, bounces up and down while I'm putting in the DVD and then happily plops down on her stomach, chin in hands, to watch the whole thing intently.

I think it's moved from fun activity to a "must" in her day. Therefore, I have declared today "No Movie Day". Carrie has already asked to watch "Ari-rel" at least twice. I told her we can color, play puzzles, read books, play games, play the piano,...... Anything. As long as we don't turn on the TV. I hope I have the patience to make it last. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Mrs. Jaybird said...

Oh gosh. I totally understand. TV had gotten so bad at our house that we're cancelling Netflix for the summer and trying to spend more time outside. If you bake, involve Carrie--kids LOVE to help bake. We go to the dog park (but you don't have a dog), explore things close by (25th street), and have a membership to the Treehouse museum, Union Station, Dinosaur park, the Nature center . . . I hope we can live without TV too! It makes a good babysitter . . . but I think we need to move to "sparingly."

Same with internet. I've been using it TOO MUCH! So we're cancelling that, too. That's $50 more toward our car payment each month!

Emily said...

It sounds like Mrs. Jaybird and I are in the same area! We love the Treehouse Museum and the Dinosaur Park, too.

We are having a similar day at our house. Charlie loves his video games TOO much, so we are taking a break. The Wii has been put away indefinitely. Only one meltdown so far today.

Imagining "Just go away," made my laugh. What a funny girl.

Unknown said...

good luck. I struggle with that at times too!

Matt and Jayna said...

I knew exactly what part of the movie you were talking about, "Just go away" I LOVE that she says that. She is too cute and funny!

Coleen said...

I can picture her doing that, putting her face in her hands and quietly saying Just Go Away, she is quite the little "actress and princess", I love it! Have fun coming up with alternative ideas, being outside is great, except it gets soooo hot there.