Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Half a Decade Ago....

I can't believe it's already been 5 years since we met! Here's our fun story about back then!

October 26, 2005, BYU-Idaho

Justin: 22 year old, returned missionary, first semester back at school since returning from his mission.

Rebecca: 17 year old, first semester Freshman, declared major - Mechanical Engineering

We met on Facebook.... Seriously....

Facebook was pretty new back then and we were both still building our "friend base". We ended up with a mutual friend (that neither one of us really even knows). Justin decided one day to look through this person's friends to see how he might know her.

It was love at first [picture] sight. Justin saw my picture in her list of friends, thought I was cute and "poked" me. He then sent a message that said,

"hey there. well what can i say? your picture definitely got my attention! very nice! hope to get to know you a lot more!"

Looking back now, it was COMPLETELY random and should have been a little creepy since I had no idea who he was but.... things worked out I guess. :)

We sent messages back and forth through the day on Facebook and then Instant Messaging. We discovered we only lived a block away from each other and decided to meet. That evening, we had dinner at McDonalds and went to an inter-mural basketball game on campus. What an exciting first date huh?!

Justin says after the second day he thought to himself, "I have to make this girl like me." We were basically inseparable from then on. A few days later was my 18th birthday and we "officially" started dating.


A little less than a month later, Justin came with me to my Grandma's house for the week of Thanksgiving break because "home" was too far for both of us. Well, that week, we ended up getting engaged!! Quick, I know, but it's the best thing that's ever happened to us!


Fast forward five years later; We've been married for 4 1/2 years, we have a mortgage, a minivan, Justin works a desk job, I'm a stay at home mom to our adorable 21 month old little girl Carrie, and we'll soon be adding baby boy Brigham to our family! My, how time flies when you're having fun with your best friend!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww! What a cute story! It is funny how that would be considered a little creepy now but when facebook was just starting that was totally normal! thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

Thats a cute story!! How random to meet on FB! :)