Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Locked In!

I can't believe it, but I just locked Carrie and the keys in the car! She's out and everything's ok now, but talk about an adrenaline rush...

We were getting in the car to go to the bank. While I was buckling Carrie in her carseat, she was playing with the keys. She started pushing buttons on the keyless entry, and locked the car. When it locks, it honks so I quickly took the keys from her and dropped them on the front seat.

This is what I always do, only usually, the car hasn't been locked when I drop them onto the drivers seat.

Well, apparently it didn't click in my head because I got done buckling her in and closed her door. 1/2 a second later, I reached for my door to get in and go.

It didn't open...

Suddenly it registered in my brain "OH NO! SHE LOCKED IT! SHE'S LOCKED INSIDE! AND THE KEYS ARE INSIDE TOO!"

Fortunately the March weather has been mild so it's not too hot outside yet, and the car had been in covered parking all day. I quickly called Justin (the only person with a spare key) who said "I'm on my way". I found out later he was going 75-80 down the freeway to get to us asap. Luckily, he didn't get a speeding ticket!

After calling Justin, I called the apartment manager, not knowing what to do. She brought me out a wire hanger, but of course, neither of us knew how to use it to break in. Watching on TV or movies is my only experience with that. She said if I needed her to, she would call the fire department for me. I said I thought we'd be ok until Justin got there.

After about 15 minutes, a locksmith truck drove by through the complex. I frantically waved him down and asked for help. He had barely turned off his truck and walked over to the car when Justin pulled up.

And Carrie was such a good sport until the last few minutes. She was making faces at me, laughing, playing peek-a-boo etc. Whew!! The panic experience is over now. Lucky for us, it wasn't the middle of July in the direct sun...

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I did that same thing a couple of years ago---and it was SUMMER!! Kyle and Jack and Luke were locked in and buckled in their car seats!! and the keys were also locked in the car!! Insane! but thank goodness they and carrie are ok!!!

Brittney said...

Wow, that is scary. I'm so glad everything turned out okay.

Catherine and Derrick said...

Oh that is so scary. I always have a fear of that happening. I am so sorry it happened to you. Oh I can just imagine you were in shock. I am glad she is ok.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh! Glad you're all okay! Once... in Rexburg, I locked the keys in the car while it was still running. Long story, my dad had just had a heart attack, and my head was justifiably elsewhere. Glad to hear your story had a happy ending!