Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You CAN Teach a Sick Baby New Tricks

Carrie has had a fever since Monday afternoon and has had a crummy appetite. The fever only ever got as high as 101.6, so I wasn't really worried, but it just kept coming back. I decided that the 3rd straight day (today) was enough. We just got back from the doctor where we found out she has a DOUBLE EAR INFECTION.
.
The doctor looked in her left ear first and said "Oh yeah, it's full of fluid, that's infected". Then he looked at the right side and said "Whoa, never mind, this is the one that's really bothering her. This one is awful." So we are waiting for the pharmacy to fill her antibiotic right now. Here's to hoping and praying she starts feeling better.
.
Speaking of praying, Carrie has taking a liking to it. It's mostly at mealtime, but it's adorable. When I started to teach her how to fold her arms for the blessing on the food, she would only last long enough for about a 4 second prayer.
.
Now, a couple of months later, she loves it, and actually lasts long enough for a real prayer. Just the last couple of days she has started to fold her arms on her own, with no help, or arm nudging. And several times during the meal, she'll stop and fold her arms again. More prayers? OK. After the 3rd prayer during breakfast this morning, I had to tell her, "I've run out of things to pray for..., please just eat your breakfast"
.
A few days ago we came over to my parents house right at the end of an activities committee meeting. A few minutes later they said the closing prayer. Carrie was standing in the middle of the room right next to the guy who was standing and saying the prayer. She kept staring at him and about halfway through, she looked over at me and folded her arms; and kept them folded through the whole thing. I was so proud!
.
Now we just have to work on closing eyes... Yeah right.
.
Another new trick I almost forgot to mention. If you ask Carrie how old she is, she will now proudly hold up one little finger! It's so cute. :)
.
Even though she's been sick the last few days, I'm glad my job is flexible enough that I was able to "call off" for today and tomorrow to be home and take care of her. I only have one more day of work next week and after that I'm taking a little hiatus while we pack, move, and find a new babysitter close to our new house. I LOVE staying home with my girl.

2 comments:

Brittney said...

I hope she gets feeling better. We can relate to the double ear infection and fever. Glad it's over now. Take care and good luck with the move, etc.

Jacob & Clarissa said...

My goodness, that girl needs to get feeling better! On the up side, I haven't even managed to get Emily to say how old she is. After much prodding, she will now tell you that she's 3. She won't say 2 and when I asked if she was 1 she rolled her eyes and walked away.