Thursday, January 13, 2011

Curveball for Mommy

I think my postpartum adrenaline rush has finally run out.

Yesterday during the day I had a little backache, but nothing too bad. By the evening, it was pretty achy and I was wishing for a massage. By about 10pm, I was crying...

I couldn't even walk. I felt awful. I decided to take some ibuprofen and tylenol and see if I could get a little sleep. Technically I slept, but it wasn't restful at all. It was painful. When I was up to pump at 3:30am, I was seriously considering either Urgent Care or the ER.

Again, I tried to see if I could get a tiny more sleep, mostly because I knew Justin is tired too and I didn't want to wake him up in the middle of the night. I also had a small hope it would just go away.

By 6, I decided to just get up. I took more ibuprofen and tylenol and they didn't even touch the pain. We looked up some local Urgent Cares (to try to save money on a copay) and most didn't open til 8 or 9. Randomly, around 8, I actually started to feel a little better. It was short-lived.

At nine, we headed over a couple blocks to an Urgent Care. After 30 minutes in the waiting room they triaged me, decided it sounded like a kidney infection and I probably needed a CT scan. They fortunately didn't "admit" me to the Urgent Care to save us a copay, and sent me to the ER.

I got in immediately at the ER and they started an IV, and took blood and urine samples. They also gave me some vicodin which started to help with the pain. After a little bit, they said all my labs came back normal and therefore they didn't think it was my kidneys, just muscle pain. I got a prescription for vicodin and they discharged me.

It helped for a little while, but it's already worn off and I can't have another dose for two more hours... I feel like a whiny little baby, but I told Justin and all the nurses/doctors in the ER that this hurts way more than labor did. Hard to believe, but it's true.

Some good news, Brigham is looking great since they changed out his ECMO machine! We don't have the results back from his heart and head ultrsounds today, but all his labs so far have been fantastic. Here's hoping and praying for more good progress :)


Laura Cook said...

I'm SO sorry you are in so much pain! I hope you get to feeling better soon! Good to hear Brigham is doing well today!!!! (PS. I check your blog every morning and night ... and about 20 times inbetween... so thank you so much for taking time to update us all on whats going on! I know you have more important things to be worrying about than keeping us up-to-date!)

Coleen said...

Sure hope you feel better. I do think it is a combination of exhaustion even though you are sleeping, I know you are thinking about so many things and so much has happened in the first week of Brigham's life, it is finally taking a toll. See if you can get a back massage, take a hot bath and relax!
Love you guys. You aren't whiny, in fact you are pretty darn amazing!

Alyse Makemson said...

Congratulations to you and your family on your new little addition! Brigham is sooo adorable, and I absolutely LOVE his hair! Ü It was great to see pictures, read all of your updates, and try to understand a little of what is going on for you guys. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers. Keep your spirits up, and I really hope things get better for you each day.

Brittney said...

That's totally a bummer. I hope you start feeling better soon. I'm glad to hear things are going well for Brigham.

Julie and John said...

We're keeping up with your blog and we're praying for you. Let me know when I can help you.

Jessica Rodgers said...

Sounds like I am bringing the heating cream to do a back massage at my next weeks visit! no but really if you need anything please let me know!

Meagan said...

sooo sorry you had to deal with all of that! It's no fun to be back in the hospital after having a baby...hope you can get some good sleep and that you feel better soon.